May 30, 2010

White Oleander by Janet Fitch




Don’t attach yourself to anyone who shows you the least bit of attention because you’re lonely. Lonliness is the human condition. No one is ever going to fill that space. The best thing you can do is know yourself… know what you want.” 

 “If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment. The best you’ll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way.


 “I know you think I’m cruel. I’m only trying to protect you from those people”
“Those people are not the enemy, Mother, we are. You and me. They don’t hurt us. We hurt them”



The pearls weren’t really white, they were a warm oyster beige, with little knots in between so if they broke, you only lost one. I wished my life could be like that, knotted up so that even if something broke, the whole thing wouldn’t come apart.” 

 I bought this book three years ago and read it during a very emotional time . I was thirteen , broken hearted and lonely, and I'm not lying when I say that it saved my life . And for some reason I related so much with Astrid . I give her all the credit for going through all she had.
The feeling of isolation that is a thread throughout the novel, the strenght Astrind had during thoose years ... If you haven’t seen it, or even read the book I think you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment